A book about photography. Exploring beyond the limits of the camera, touching on increasing the photographers’ sensibilities, courage and humility. A book for those who wants to go beyond the technical and technique. Learn to capture those wonderful moments.
Photography is an art form.
The camera is the brush.
Light is the medium.
And you are the creativity.
Through 30 years of exploring photography, I realised that photography is not only about the camera, it is also about the photographer and the subject. My exploration oscillates between the camera and exteriority of the camera.
I learned all about the camera in the initial few years, my work was well received but I felt that I had hit a snag; I stagnated. I asked myself where do I go from here? Where is the limit of photography? Does my work need rejuvenation from outside of itself? Yes, after much searching and experimenting, I found various ways to raise my acuity, bringing my work to another realm. Here I would share some of these with you. Outside the camera, the horizon have expanded far and wide. I felt exhilarated and revitalised.
Take my inhibition, an instance of exteriority of the camera, by removing inhibition, portraiture takes on another pictorial landscape. Yes, by learning from psychology and neuro-linguistic programming, borrowing from their studies and practices, I learned to remove inhibition and my photographs take on new meaning.
This book will take you to greater height as a photographer. Follows the steps with discipline and more practices, you will definitely improve.
Some tips are easily grasped. Some have to be experienced before you understand them. Some needs faith to see the results. Some may seem a little odd. However, if you follow them, you would later discover their relevance. Then again, what works for others may not work for you, because we are all different. Try different ways of using these tips. There are no sequence in using this book, each tip is self serving, or it can be combined in various ways to suit your needs. Perhaps doing the opposite may serve you well too.
E-books, audio books and video books will be published in due time. So look me up on Facebook and join the 100tips Photography group. For those interested to get in touch with me, please email me at choomengfoo[a]gmail.com
For purchase in Singapore, following are the places:
- Fotohub, http://www.fotohub.com/ContactUs.aspx
- 35mm Colour Lab Pte Ltd, Second Avenue Junction, 733 Bukit Timah Road, 269748, tel:6467 5535, Open Weekdays 9:30am-7:30pm; Sat 9:30am-6pm
- Forest n Trees No. 2 Handy Road, The Cathay Building, Unit 03-02. Singapore 229233. Telephone: +65 6734 8454 * only special addition with a handmade bag
- Stevie General Store, 93 Club Street, 069461 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000572438445 * only special addition with a handmade bag
- Shots @ Ann Siang, 8A Ann Siang Hill, Singapore 069788, Tel: (65) 62248850
- Mayagallery, 666 North Bridge Road, Singapore 188800, T +65 6291 1760, F +65 6291 1876
- Orange Thimble, Artcafe, BLK 56, 01-68, ENG HOON STREET, TIONG BAHRU.
- Viridian Art House, 70 River Valley Road #01-15, Singapore, Singapore 179037.
Internationally it can be purchase online:
- Hardcover, paperback, e-copy, pdf : http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/100-ways-to-photography—the-expert-advice/15902534
- Paperback: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2180725#store-price
- Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/3615160
- Amazon, paperback and kindle, ipad, http://www.amazon.com/100-ways-Photography-Expert-advice/dp/9810843755/
Reviews you may be interested to read:
- Here is a short video on the book, http://youtu.be/lzZ7GPkvS6I
- On Lulu Spotlight, http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/insecthunter